Tuesday, March 29, 2011

That Ain't Yo' Daddy...

No, I am not going to tell you about the latest episode of a raunchy talk show:)  I want to share one of the biggest realizations for me that has absolutely changed.my.life. and my relationship with God.  Almost 5 years ago we moved to Columbus, Ga.  A year or so after moving here and finding our present church home, I heard the most wonderful, but at the time suspect, statement.

"Condemnation is never from your Heavenly Father. Conviction, yes....Condemnation...NO."

I had never heard such a statement, but my mind was reeling so I knew that I had to sit with this and find out if this was really truth.  I never even realized that I did believe this and how very far from the truth I was.  Wasn't His job to tell us when we've done something wrong?  To reprimand? To point out our wrongs?  This is were the second part of the quote comes in....the word "conviction."  To explain all this a little more clearly I'll give you some practical examples of what is and what is not of the Lord. 

NOT the voice of the Lord (Condemnation)...."Hollie, that was awful.  You always fall short in this area.  I wish you could get it together.
What WOULD be the voice of the Lord (Conviction)...Hollie, I love you and this is not My best for you.  I have given you all you need for life and godliness.  I love you too much to leave you where you are, there is so much more life in Me to be had, just follow my direction.

NOT the voice of the Lord....You always lose your patience.  What a terrible mother.  Do better.
IS the voice of the Lord....Hollie, I am for you.  When you lose your patience I know you see the effects on your family; it brings division.  Ask me for forgiveness and move on. I do.  I have an abundance of patience for you, just ask...and my mercies are new EVERY morning.

Those are just a few examples.  I hope they are helpful and that you can see the enemies tactics.  The enemy's full time occupation is to steal, kill, and destroy.  He does not want you to be built up.  He doesn't want you to see or feel hope.  He wants you to feel like there is no use in even trying.  The Lord however wants you to see the hope that He offers.  He wants you to know how much you are loved by Him...and that He loves you NO MATTER WHAT.  His love is unconditional.  His voice towards you is never hateful or unkind.  He will speak things that are hard to hear, but will never demean you or beat you up.  His word tells us in Zephaniah 3:17 that He takes great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, and He rejoices over you with singing.  Wow. That's pretty awesome.  His word also tells us that we are the apple of His eye.  I also love, love, love the story in Luke 15 where a son goes out and squanders all the wealth his father has given to him.  When he "came to his senses" ,as my Bible says, and went home...while HE WAS STILL A LONG WAY OFF, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.  What a wonderful picture of our Father.  It is so very true.  He loves us on days when we think we are doing good, he loves us when we think we have blown it, and when we are far away....He longs for us to be home.
Yes, this quote has redone some wiring in my brain as to how I see and experience sweet Jesus.  To know that He is for me and not against me.  He is not waiting at my first wrong move to zap me.  He IS gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love (Psalm 145).  Below is ole' websters definition of condemn....

con·demn verb (used with object)

1. to express an unfavorable or adverse judgment on; indicate strong disapproval of; censure.
2. to pronounce to be guilty; sentence to punishment: to condemn a murderer to life imprisonment.
3. to give grounds or reason for convicting or censuring: His acts condemn him.
4. to judge or pronounce to be unfit for use or service: to condemn an old building.
5. U.S. Law . to acquire ownership of for a public purpose, under the right of eminent domain: The city condemned the property.
6. to force into a specific state or activity: His lack of education condemned him to a life of menial Jobs.
7. to declare incurable.

If the voices you are hearing sound more like this definition....It ain't yo' Daddy.  Your Daddy is tender, merciful, gracious, kind, loving, and giver of life.  Pray that He would help you recognize the voice of the enemy...tell them to go away in Jesus' name....and then allow the Lord to fill you with His truth about who you are and what He thinks of you.  Write them down.  Post them where you can see them.  Email me if you have questions.  I'd love to share more if you need it. 
Blessings sweet friends and family-
Hollie

2 comments:

  1. What a great reminder of His love for us, and of His true character. (And perhaps a little *conviction* about my own parenting sometimes!!) Thanks for this sweet post, Hollie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm sure I'll be coming back to that one often!

    ReplyDelete